Thursday, February 26, 2009

The 80s were way better than I can fathom

Diamond David Lee Roth is one of those performers that only comes along once in a generation. With VanHalen, DLR was a consumate performer, fantastically ranged vocalist, and had a rock and roll resume that would make Tommy Lee blush. When Dave and VanHalen split, he was free to finally persue the wackiest, goofiest most childish music videos that anyone has ever seen.


Which brings me to my real point; the birth of the music video, as we know it. Every one points to old videos made by the Beatles and other rock stars under the influence of phycadellic substances, but the true innovator of music videos was a man named Mike Nesmith.

Yes, Michael Nesmith of The Monkees.

He produced a show called Television Parts back in the 80s. Back when I lived in the culturally devoid midwest, my father located a VHS of this show at the local movie store, and we watched it. Over and over again.



If you should know where I can get it on DVD, please, pleasepleaseplease, tell me.

1 comment:

  1. first, thank you for taking the time to recognize DLR.

    Second, All of the mike nesmith stuff is available for viewing on you tube. Alot of the coolest stuff on VHS never got made into DVD. I can remember my search for kids in the hall "brain candy" on dvd(Circa 2000), only to find out it was released on DVD in like 2005. By that time, I had grown out of my desire for watching brain candy, and it was on comedy central often enough.

    ReplyDelete