Monday, January 12, 2009

ONLY STONE AND STEEL ACCEPT MY LOVE

I'm somewhat flabbergasted that 'video premieres' still happen. I may be going out on a limb by saying I think here in the United States the music video is kinda becoming a dead format. Unless I'm just old now or something and not hip to new means of seeing these new videos. There is always youtube but what fun is searching? Through out the 90s as a kid I think I lived for 120 minutes and other music video oriented shows as a means of discovering new music acts or seeing old favorites. Now you're lucky if at 3 AM you catch a half hour block of videos between The Hills and Mom and Dad, I'm Fucking*.

Last night on Channel 4 in the UK they premiered the new Morrissey video for "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris." Now, I've embedded this video for your consideration.
Morrissey - I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris


Before we talk about this video there is one thing you need to know: I love Steven Patrick Morrissey more than I've ever loved another man. Also, I do prefer The Smiths.

Now when Moz made his come back a few years ago with You Are the Quarry everyone kinda lost their shit about just how fucking handsome he is. "Oh shit, did you see the cover? He's aged really well. Dude looks great for his forties and he's holding a fucking Thompson. His suit is kinda shiny but rather nice. Oh, the record is actually really good." That has pretty much been the status quo on Morrissey since 2004. Since then he's released a few noteworthy records(AHEM) a couple dvds and everything as been fine.

I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris may be case in point that Moz is losing it. This is sad but in fact true. Did you see his face? He'll be 50 years old this year and somehow between ages 47 and 49 his face and body aged like 20 extra years. Also, I'm confident in saying I think he's wearing some kinda strange eye shadow that is not at all complimentary. He is mostly just standing around with a microphone with a few moments of his from-the-heart arm gestures. I mean he does play with a tamborine and some small dog so I guess that counts as a performance. I mean fuck, You're weird backing band did more than you. The least you could do is give everyone the typical huge ego they seem to love. How am I suppose to care MOZ, when you release this awesome fucking record cover then come at me with this lackluster music video? Did I mention the song comes fairly close to sucking? I suppose this is what it felt like in the late 90s when he started to suck then too.



*have you seen that show on MTV with the kids telling their parents that they've fucked all over the house and shit? Awesome.

may or may not be under the influence of illicit street drugs


ah, no homo.

No comments:

Post a Comment