Friday, January 23, 2009

One day, we'll all be assassinated.

I love John Lennon.



This song is called This Boy, if you weren't aware.  It was written by John Lennon in the style of Smokey Robinson's Motown Doo-wop sound, and was released as the B-Side to I Want to Hold Your Hand and was also rearranged by Geore Martin for use in the movie Help! Bar-none, it's one of my top five favorite Bealtes songs, for three reasons; the harmonies are impecable, the guitar progression is deceptively simple, and the lyrics are the first step down a road that would lead John Lennon to write songs that are chauvanistic.

I know that later in life, Lennon would become an activist for peace and understanding, but have you ever heard Run For You Life? Getting Better?  True, Getting Better is claimed as a McCartney song, but Wikipedia says that Lennon wrote the lyric I used to be cruel to my woman/I beat her and kept her apart from the things that she loved.  I'm just saying, that's one bad ass dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment